To support survivors of sexual trauma, improve systems response, and create social change to end sexual violence.
To build a healthy community free from oppression and sexual trauma.
STAR® began as the Baton Rouge Rape Crisis Center in 1975 where we operated as a division of the East Baton Rouge District Attorney’s Office. In 2011, STAR incorporated into a 501(c)(3) non-profit with the Louisiana Secretary of State and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in order to expand services to surrounding areas, increase education and outreach efforts, and ensure confidentiality with our clients as a separate, non-governmental entity.
Since our inception, we have served thousands of survivors and families by offering a non-judgmental, confidential source of support to help them move past the trauma of sexual assault. Today, STAR®’s services continue to expand as community need grows. We now provide confidential advocacy, counseling, and legal services to individuals and families affected by sexual trauma at no cost. We are also engaging in institutional and social change work to build our community’s capacity to prevent and respond responsibly to sexual violence.
STAR® currently provides services to the Central, Capital and Greater New Orleans Regions of South Louisiana. Click here to see locations.
- Sexual trauma is any sexual violation that includes, but is not limited to, verbal harassment, physical contact, and/or the attempt to do so without an individual’s lawful consent.
- Sexual trauma is a public health problem, not simply a concern of an individual who experiences sexual trauma.
- Common attitudes and beliefs inform behaviors within our culture that normalize excuse, condone and perpetuate sexual trauma.
- Sexual trauma prevention requires a multi-level approach including primary prevention, therapeutic intervention and supportive response.
- Every survivor has the right to confidential and competent services, regardless of their background, gender, race, ethnicity, ability, sexual identity or decision to report.
Work With Us
Expressing an interest in working for STAR® is the most sincere form of flattery we can receive. Thank you for considering us as a place of employment. When job openings become available, they are posted here.
© 2016 Sexual Trauma Awareness and Response. All rights reserved.
"STAR" and the STAR design are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.