Our advocacy, counseling and legal services are available to youth and adult survivors of sexual violence no cost, and are intended to assist you at any stage of your healing. Our staff creates a safe, supportive, confidential environment where survivors of any race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, class or sexual orientation are welcomed and supported.
Please call 855-435-STAR if you would like help with the following:
- Understanding and moving past the trauma of sexual assault
- Navigating the criminal and civil legal systems
- Developing plans to keep you safe
- Accompaniment to medical exams, law enforcement interviews and court proceedings
- Legal representation and assistance in matters related to your sexual trauma
Click here for our locations.
Creating Social Change
Our social change work is guided by our vision of building a community free from oppression and sexual trauma. With positive social change, it is possible to make sexual trauma a relic of the past. To accomplish this, STAR® informs, engages, and partners with youth and adults to envision and establish community solutions to the problem of sexual trauma. To learn more, contact us at 855-435-STAR.
Improving Systems Response
STAR® works with systems—law enforcement, medical professionals, criminal justice professionals, and universities—to provide training and technical support to improve their response to sexual trauma. Our staff offers a wealth of expertise on preventing and responding responsibly to sexual trauma. To learn more or to schedule a training, contact us at 855-435-STAR.
Our staff is here to support you and your loved ones throughout the healing process.
STAR is intended as a safe space for survivors of sexual trauma and their loved ones. In an instance where you feel that your experience with STAR has been unsatisfactory, you are encouraged to discuss the matter with your advocate or counselor first, then with management if further action is needed. Please contact our Vice-President Rebecca Marchiafava to report any grievances or to give any feedback about your experience; she can be contacted at email@example.com, or by calling (225) 615-7093 ext 105.
We observe confidentiality within our agency as required by professional ethics and/or Louisiana and Federal law. Information is not provided outside of STAR by advocates, clinicians, or attorneys unless:
- We have the client’s written permission.
- We believe it is necessary to prevent clear and imminent danger to the client or others.
- The client indicates to a mandatory reporter on staff that there is reasonable cause to believe that a child, dependent adult, or a vulnerable elderly person was abused or neglected.
Your advocate, counselor, or attorney will explain any limits they may have to keeping your information completely confidential. Please ask if that information is not provided to you before talking with anyone at STAR.
© 2016 Sexual Trauma Awareness and Response. All rights reserved.
"STAR" and the STAR design are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.