To support survivors of sexual trauma, improve systems response, and create social change to end sexual violence.
To build a healthy community free from oppression and sexual trauma.
STAR® began as the Baton Rouge Rape Crisis Center in 1975 where we operated as a division of the East Baton Rouge District Attorney’s Office. In 2011, STAR incorporated into a 501(c)(3) non-profit with the Louisiana Secretary of State and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in order to expand services to surrounding areas, increase education and outreach efforts, and ensure confidentiality with our clients as a separate, non-governmental entity.
Since our inception, we have served thousands of survivors and families by offering a non-judgmental, confidential source of support to help them move past the trauma of sexual assault. Today, STAR®’s services continue to expand as community need grows. We now provide confidential advocacy, counseling, and legal services to individuals and families affected by sexual trauma at no cost. We are also engaging in institutional and social change work to build our community’s capacity to prevent and respond responsibly to sexual violence.
STAR® currently provides services to the Central, Capital and Greater New Orleans Regions of South Louisiana. Click here to see locations.
We are committed to:
- Addressing sexual violence as a public health problem, not simply a concern of an individual who experiences sexual trauma
- Challenging attitudes, beliefs and behaviors within our culture that normalize, excuse, condone and perpetuate violence and oppression
- Preventing sexual violence through a multi-level approach including primary prevention, therapeutic intervention and trauma-informed supportive response
- Protecting survivors’ rights
- Ensuring that every survivor of sexual violence has the right to confidential and competent services, regardless of their age, background, gender, race, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity or decision to report
- Increasing survivors’ power and visibility in the community
- Building community capacity to address sexual violence by creating meaningful partnerships with individuals, organizations and institutions that believe in our mission and want to help us fulfill our vision
- Revolutionary change to fundamentally transform ourselves, our clients and our communities
© 2016 Sexual Trauma Awareness and Response. All rights reserved.
"STAR" and the STAR design are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.